Haydarpaşa Railway Station was built in 1906 II. It was started in the reign of Abdulhamid and completed on 1908. The station, which was built by a German company, was built in III. It is named after Haydar Pasha, one of the pashas of Selim. The purpose of the construction was considered as the starting point of the Istanbul Baghdad railway line. In the last period of the Ottoman Empire, Hicaz railway services were started. State Railways of the Republic of Turkey is the main station. It also occupies an important place in urban transportation with commuter line flights.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station History
Haydarpaşa Station construction, 30 May 1906 year II. Abdulhamid period began. Construction of the station started in 1906, 19 was completed in August 1908 and opened for service. Haydarpaşa Railway Station, which was constructed by a German company called Anadolu Bağdat, is located in the facilities for the unloading and loading operations of the commercial goods that are in the wagons coming from Anatolia or going to Anatolia.
The project, which was prepared by Helmuth Cuno and Otto Ritter, came into effect and Italian and German stone masters were used during the implementation of the project. A large part of the station was damaged due to the large fire in 1917. After this damage, it has been restored to its present shape. In 1979, the impact of hot air caused damage to the lead stained glass due to the explosion caused by a tanker colliding with the offshore in Haydarpaşa. 28 In November 2010, due to a large fire on the roof of Haydarpaşa Railway Station, the station's roof collapsed and the fourth floor of the building became unusable.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station Architecture
The station, where most people travel to Istanbul and meet the magnificent landscape, is actually a classic example of German architecture. From a bird's eye view of the building, one leg is long and the other leg is a short “U” shape. Inside the building, in these short and long legs, there are rooms with large and high ceilings.
Both branches of the “U” shaped corridors where the rooms are located are located on the land side. The inner space is the inner courtyard. The building is built on a thousand 21 wooden piles, each of which is 100 meters long. These piles were driven by the technology of the early 1900 years, the steam hammer. The main structure of the building rises above the pile grid placed on these piles.
The station building is very robust and there is little chance of damage even in a severe earthquake. The roof of the building is made of wood and a 'steep roof', a style that is often used in classical German architecture.
Fires and Explosions in Haydarpaşa Station
Perhaps one of the most remarkable but unfortunately bad memories in the history of Haydarpaşa Railway Station is 6 September The sabotage organized by a British spy in 1917. As a result of the British spy sabotage while loading the ammunition by crane to the wagons waiting for Garda; the ammunition exploded in the trains that were stored in the building, waiting at the station and about to enter the station, and an unprecedented fire started. Hundreds of soldiers in the trains have suffered great damage from this explosion and fire. It is even told that the windows of the houses in Kadıköy and Selimiye were broken due to the violence of the explosion.
15 November At 1979, the Romanian fuel tanker 'Independanta' exploded just off the station and the building's windows and historic stained glass were shattered.
On the roof of the historical Haydarpaşa Train Station, the fire that broke out on the waters of 28.11.2010 at 15.30 hours had completely destroyed the fire on the roof of the station. 1 was controlled within hours and then completely extinguished the fire was claimed to be the cause of the renovation of the roof.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station
30 May This magnificent building, which was started to be built in 1906, was left by two German architects. The construction of Haydarpaşa Railway Station was completed in 500 as a result of two years of work with approximately the simultaneous efforts of the Italian stonemason 1908. The light pink granite stones of this magnificent building, which was opened in May of 1908 in May of 19, were brought from Hereke. It is named after Haydar Pasha, who contributed to the construction of the Selimiye Barracks. Sultan III. Selim deemed it appropriate to call Haydar Pasha as a gesture to Haydar Pasha who did more than he could during the construction of the barracks bearing his name. Later, with the expansion of the railway network and the progression to the interior of Anatolia, the importance of the station has increased. Haydarpaşa Station has been spread over an area of 3 thousand 836 square meters in total. The best known expresses departing from here are; East Express, Fatih Express, Capital Express, Kurtalan Express.
Interior and Exterior Architecture of Haydarpaşa Railway Station
Haydarpaşa Railway Station has a unique architecture, as well known by the people who have taken part in many Turkish Films, who witnessed a lot of conclusions and a lot of separations and who looked at the magnificent view of Istanbul from here. The building bears examples of classical German architecture, and from a bird's eye view one leg is short and the other long. Therefore, there are large and high ceilings in the building. This image explains some of the glory of Haydarpaşa. In the past, handcrafted embroideries and works of art adorned these ceilings, but later they were plastered. Now we can only see these hand embroidery works in one room. Building; It is built on a thousand 21 wood piles, each of which is 100 meters long. Lefke-Osmaneli stone facade cladding was used in the ground floor and mezzanine floors of the building. The windows of the station are built of wood and rectangular, with rectangular ornamental columns between the windows. On the sides of the building facing the sea, there are circular towers narrowing from the base to the roof so that both ends of the building coincide.
Haydarpaşa Railway Station Restoration Works
6 in Haydarpaşa Railway Station September 1917 and 15 November 1979 was repaired by the Republican Government, which dealt with the railways operation after two terrible explosions and fires, on the condition of preserving the old state and taking the most recent form by making various arrangements. Since the opening of the station, 1908 has seen rain, floods and decaying pavements due to the work caused by steamers, ornaments and works of art on the exterior of the building began to disappear. The 1976 has undergone a major restoration to prevent further damage to the building. Today, restoration works continue.
Mausoleum at Haydarpasa Train Station
Haydar Baba Mausoleum is a mausoleum where the mystery is hidden between the rails at Haydarpaşa Train Station. It has been debated for years about the tomb that the station took its name from. The tomb has a very interesting story and it is a traditional situation. Listen to the story about the tomb of Haydar Baba. Not long after the station has been put into service, 100 wants to pass the train track, where the train station's chief of the movement is located, and start to work with a team. According to the stories; Haydar Pasha, who gave the name of the station to the dream of the supervisor, enters the night. In Don't bother me, diy he tells his supervisor. The motion supervisor continues to work with the engineers, regardless of this dream. In his dream, Haydar Pasha squeezes his throat and says the same thing again. The movement supervisor, affected by this creepy dream, stops the work. The railroad, which is planned to be built later, passes over the tomb. Thus, Haydar Baba Tomb is still being visited today by dividing the railway into two parts. As an interesting and beautiful detail, it is said that all the mechanics and train personnel still stop by today and pray for their journey safely.