Liv Hospital Child Health and Diseases Specialist Reyhan Tamer made important warnings that sparklers used in children's birthday cakes carry serious health risks.
While taking care of your child's birthday preparations, Liv Hospital Child Health and Diseases Specialist Reyhan Tamer warned that sparklers, especially those placed on the cake, pose serious health risks. Tamer stated that the chemicals contained in sparklers can cause serious side effects when taken into the body through inhalation and mouth.
Emphasizing that chemical substances such as iron rod, potassium chlorate, aluminum powder, strontium nitrate, barium nitrate contained in sparklers can cause serious side effects on vital organs such as liver and kidney when inhaled or ingested, Tamer said, "Let there be only candles on your cake."
Tamer pointed out that in addition to the chemicals produced by the burning of sparklers on the cake entering the body through breathing, the falling pieces of sparklers burning on the cake can also enter the body through the mouth, and stated that this situation may cause dysfunction in organs such as the liver, kidney and lung.
Stating that contact with sparklers in children may trigger undesirable side effects such as breathing difficulties, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, irregularities in blood pressure and heart rhythm, and chemical burns in case of skin contact, Tamer said that when such situations are encountered, one should immediately consult a health center.